Hoag was once again the highest-ranked hospital in Orange County in the 2020-2021 U.S. News & World Report. This marks the fourth year in a row Hoag has achieved this level of recognition. The organization was ranked the #4 hospital in the Los Angeles Metro Area and the #8 hospital in California. Additionally, Hoag was #27 in Neurology & Neurosurgery, #29 in Diabetes & Endocrinology, #33 in Pulmonology & Lung Surgery, #35 in Orthopedics, #37 in Gynecology, #38 in Gastroenterology and GI Surgery, and #40 in Geriatrics. Hoag ranked high performing in Cancer, Nephrology and Urology as well as in all ten common adult procedures including: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Aortic Valve Surgery, Colon Cancer Surgery, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement, Lung Cancer Surgery, and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR).
Hoag offers a comprehensive blend of health care services that include five institutes providing specialized services in the following areas: cancer, heart and vascular, neurosciences, women’s health and orthopedics through Hoag’s affiliate Hoag Orthopedic Institute, which consists of an orthopedic hospital and two ambulatory surgical centers.
Hoag attained the Magnet® recognition as part of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program. This credentialing program for hospitals recognizes excellence in nursing and is the highest honor an organization can receive for professional nursing practices.
Additionally, Hoag earned full accreditation with DNV GL Healthcare, the organization whose accreditation and quality management aligns with Hoag’s focus on constant improvement.
National Recognition Highlights
- Hoag was the highest ranked hospital in Orange County by U.S. News & World Report for 2020-2021.
- Named by Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care and Obstetrics for the seventh year in a row (2014 – 2020).
- Hoag named one of the Top Hospitals in the U.S. by Fortune/IBM Watson Health and the World by Newsweek.
Recent Major Milestones
- Pickup Family Neurosciences Institute at Hoag was designated a Level 4 Epilepsy Center
- Hoag became the first hospital in Orange County to complete 500 TAVR procedures
- Pickup Family Neurosciences Institute at Hoag added the first Machine-Vision guided 7D Surgical platform to the new brain and spine fully integrated operating room suites
- Hoag’s teen mental health program, ASPIRE, was accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Hoag Family Cancer Institute Recognition
- Top 10% in the nation for cancer care, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- U.S. News & World Report ranked Hoag high performing in Cancer Surgery and Colon Cancer Surgery.
- Highest surgical volume program for Breast Cancer, Lung Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Bladder Cancer and Colon Cancer.
- Hoag Family Cancer Institute is in the top 10% for overall patient satisifaction.
- Hoag Family Cancer Institute became the first community hospital in Orange County to offer Phase 1 Clinical Trials, through its alliance with USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Jeffrey M. Carlton Heart and Vascular Institute Recognition
- Designated a Blue Distinction® Center+ in the Blue Distinction Centers for Cardiac Care program by Anthem Blue Cross.
- The Society for Thoracic Surgeons rated Hoag’s Cardiac Surgery Program 3 out of 3 stars for both coronary artery bypass grafting and aortic surgery – an achievement reached by only the top 1.4% of programs in the country.
- U.S. News & World Report ranked Hoag high performing in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Aortic Valve Surgery, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure and TAVR.
- Recipient of the American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Heart Failure Gold Quality Achievement Award.
- Named by Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for patient experience in Heart Care for 2014 – 2020, placing Hoag in the top 9% for heart care.
Pickup Family Neurosciences Institute Recognition
- Hoag Hospital Irvine was certified a Primary Stroke Center and Hoag Hospital Newport Beach was named a Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center by DNV GL Healthcare.
- Became the first hospital in Orange County to use high-tech 3D Simulation Software (SNAP) to assist in Brain Surgeries.
- U.S News & World Report ranked Hoag #27 in Neurology & Neurosurgery nationally.
- Designated a Level 4 Epilepsy Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
- Designated as a Stroke-Neurology Receiving Center by the Orange County Health Care Agency.
- Recipient of the American Heart Association’s Get With the Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award
- Named by Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 Hospital with Great Neurosurgery and Spine Programs.
Hoag Women’s Health Institute Recognition
- Hoag Breast Center (HBC) is the first and only breast center in Orange County to be designated as a Certified Quality Breast Center of Excellence™
- HBC offers the full complement of breast screening technologies, including Breast Tomosynthesis (3D Mammography) and comprehensive breast surgical offerings including oncoplastic surgery and the full gamut of reconstructive options.
- Dedicated OB Services for perinatology, neonatology, OB Intensivist, and OB Hospitalist/Laborist.
- Named by Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics for 2014-2019, placing Hoag in the top 17% nationally for obstetrics.
- The third highest volume providers of gynecologic oncology robotic procedures in the nation and the fourth highest volume for gynecologic robotic-assisted surgeries overall in California.
- U. S. News & World Report ranked Hoag nationally in gynecology.