Neurology and Sleep
The interface of sleep and neurology determines medical issues and disorders related to both disease and wellness. A comprehensive approach to these conditions can help diagnosis medical conditions and allay concerns related to overall health/wellness.
Jason Muir Discusses Neurodiagnostics
inadequate sleep with some form of daytime impairment.
Treatment of Insomnia
- Cognitive behavioral therapy is the cornerstone of my treatment approach.
- Medications are prescribed less frequently.
Sleep Apnea Symptoms:
- witnessed snoring, gasping or choking during sleep
- Daytime sleepiness
- an in some cases cardiovascular issues not well explained by patients underlying medical conditions (consider cryptogenic atrial fibrillation, refractory hypertension…
Treatment of Sleep Apnea
- PAP (Positive airway pressure) therapy
- Mandibular advance devices
- Inspire medical device (www.inspire.com)
- Excessive daytime sleepiness that results in some form of daytime impairment
- Cataplexy – Feeling muscle weakness often triggered by intense emotions such as laughter or anger
- Hallucinations when falling asleep or during awakening
- Sleep paralysis – The temporary inability to move or talk when falling asleep during awakening
Treatment of Narcolepsy
Combination medication therapy
Headaches, neuropathy, neurological weakness, other symptoms:
- pain syndromes
- fatiguable weakness
- progressive weakness despite adequate nutrition and exercise
Treatments of Headaches & Neuropathy
- Medications and Patient awareness with a headache calendar
- Health optimization with lifestyle modification
- Diagnostic workup to determine the appropriateness of therapy
Jason Muir, MD
Jason Muir is uniquely board certified in Neurology, Sleep Medicine and Clinical Neurophysiology. He is highly respected by his colleagues and peers in the fields of neurology and sleep medicine.
Jason Muir is one of the few sleep physicians in Orange County with additional certification in Clinical Neurophysiology. He is also board certified in both neurology and sleep medicine. This combination allows him to provide a comprehensive approach to the treatment of sleep disorders and neurological diseases.Read more